Reviews of movies, music, books and more by David Goody.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Art: Stubbs And The Horse at The National Gallery

A great talent is one that exceeds it's genre. The National Galleries exhibition of horse paintings by Stubbs is a perfect example of this. Even those with no equestrian interest will find something of value. The first room contains Stubbs' anatomical drawings showing the process that allowed him to capture the form of the horse. The high point is the vast portrait of Whistlejacket in the third room. A stunning life size portrait of an Arabian horse painting against a plain background that grabs the viewers attention and won't let go.

The more tradition portraits capture the horses so beautifully that you want to reach out and stroke them, even if all the backgrounds look the same. The later rooms of the exhibition show Stubbs trying to move away from the horse painting that made his name. There are some interesting compositions, notably in the mythologic works, however none show the same genius as the early work. That said few artists work does.

1 Comments:

Blogger melloman said...

Hey David Goody GREAT title Art: Stubbs And The Horse at The National Gallery. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/ related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

3:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home